After graduation from seminary, a favorite professor of mine, Dr. Rene Chanco gave me a devotional book, "Dare to Journey with Henri Nouwen" by Charles Ringma. I'm not really a fan of devotional as I want to have my readings straight from the Bible. But this particular book got me. When I started reading it, I was caught. My heart was pierced as with a double-edged sword. I always bring it when I'm out-of-town so as to reflect and dig deeper on my heart.
The past two months, I was looking for that book and I cannot find it. Good thing I have another book by Henri Nouwen "The Genesee Diary" which is his written account of his long spiritual retreat when he entered a Trappist Monastery. Which hopefully I can use to salvage my failing spirituality.
The whole point of this post? I miss my book "Dare to Journey" and I need to buy another one like that.
Share |
The past two months, I was looking for that book and I cannot find it. Good thing I have another book by Henri Nouwen "The Genesee Diary" which is his written account of his long spiritual retreat when he entered a Trappist Monastery. Which hopefully I can use to salvage my failing spirituality.
The whole point of this post? I miss my book "Dare to Journey" and I need to buy another one like that.
This is one of the reflections Charles Ringma shared on the book,
WASTED TIME: taking time for inner renewal (Suggested Reading: Psalm 46:10)
There is just so much that needs to be done. Extra demands at home and at work. More time with the family. Keeping up with our exercise program. planning the next holiday. time out for friends. Involvement in our children's school activities. Completing the new management course.
So we try to do more while our energies ebb away and we become like uprooted trees with our roots wildly gropping for the sky. Thus we anxiously throw our arms toward heaven, praying for extra grace and special enabling, when instead we should be planted again in nourishing soil. That soil is not meant to make us do less, but to change our priorities so that we take time to be still. And in the stillness, find new strength and hope.
Henri Nouwen reminds us that "time given to inner renewal is never wasted." In fact it is the fuel for the journey, and more importantly, it is the discipline that will shape the fabric of our being.


0 comments:
Post a Comment