Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reflections on Living with the Mangyans



"Nagpapasalamat ako dahil nakakapagtanim ako ng saging at sa kalabaw."

-Gerry, 10 years old Mangyan

Mangyan kids singing songs
I'm still reflecting on the things that happened to me last week, on the mountains of Mindoro Oriental amidst the Mangyans.


In our church (and I believe in many of our churches) we are expected to dress up, put a smile on our face (even we are still sleepy), shake hands, and say hi, pray and look good and okay (even though you are not). When there is an event, everyone is happy and there is food- lots of it. This is good, BUT...


Living with the Mangyan community in the San Teodoro mountains for 4 days I learned


1. Humility and Self-evaluation. Because of the muddy trail, I have no choice but to climb barefoot. My feet feeling every rock and muds on the ground. I can feel what the Mangyans feel at least for a while. I feel humbled. More than that, I learned to evaluate myself. I looked at myself and found that there are things that I that I really don't need. How about you?
Playing Snakes and Ladders
2. Patience and More Patience. The busy Manila streets and city life would pressure you to do more in less time; multi-task; and spread yourself too thinly in the stuffs you committed yourself to. The Mangyans are laid back, the young people play basketball the whole day, kids play. They don't worry about the things they need to do, or the food they will eat. They are patient, they now how to wait. Mind you, they know how to fall in line too! I saw this during the feeding we did.




3. Justice and Equality. On our way to the mountain, about 3 hours climb we met some natives going down with their carabao-drawn sledges carrying rambutans and lanzones to be sold in the market. They would sell those for P60 a kilo. Then those products will be sold by the middlemen at a higher price without any labor. So unfair!
Then we gave some old clothes, again so unfair! Why do we give old clothes to them and buy new clothes for us. Isn't just to satisfy our ego? Just to say that we did help. I am guilty! My heart is crying with this fact. Lord, have mercy and forgive me of my injustice. Can we call is charity if the things that we give the are the things they well deserve?
One thing more, the White Beach in Puerto Galera is their true home. They own that but who are those people who enjoy the benefits, the businesses, hotels and income? We have become to engrossed with ourselves getting rich and we forget equality and justice. Isn't that our Father, our God is a God of justice and equality. Then if I don't exhibit justice and equality, can I call myself His 'son'?
Thank God He is also the God of love and patience and mercy.


4. Contentment and Gratefulness. I eat 4-5 times a day in my house. They eat 2 times a day but I never heard them beg for food or ask for something. They just continue with their lives. I tried eating twice on our 3rd day just feel them and I am grateful to God for I can enjoy eating 3 or more times a day. Whatever food on the table is, I am thankful.


Rambutan
5. The Best Things in Life are Free. Edible ferns, banana, lanzones, rambutan, marang, papaya, ang many more. The Mangyan pastor said, "dito sa amin kapag may bunga/prutas hindi mo sya kailangang bilihin, hinihingi lang lahat yan." (here, when you saw some fruits and you like it, you don't have to buy it, just wask for it and we will give it to you). I think it a no-no to buy from them because they want to give it freely. Now, let me ask you as I asked myself, "Who is richer?" They or I?


Thanks to Doc Francis for the photos.

0 comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails